flights and fogs

The other morning, there was a thick and mysterious fog over the city and all the eagles were flying low beneath it right in front of my car window at 7 am.
As I got off the highway,

[

I saw a dead one laying on the side of the road and
standing upright on its belly was a living eagle. It gestured with its beak toward the unseeing eye of the other, then
it seemed like time slowed with my car, and as I approached, it looked me right in the eye and held my gaze with a
look of such alien sorrow and intelligence.

It felt like we were communicating. some sort of understanding between species passed

between us.


It was wrenching.

I heard from a friend later that eagles mate for life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck. Sarah... This is brilliant writing....

Posted by Le Marquis de Sarcasm on March 12, 2007

Anonymous said...

oh sarah, i know its the whole circle of life n' such but that is so sad...that you were able to communicate is not something that surprises me. this story has such beauty. you witnessed something pretty amazing. thanks for sharing~*

Posted by danyael on March 13, 2007 - Tuesday at 1:08 AM

Anonymous said...

Truely there is no greater gift than love,
and no gretaer burden.

Posted by Dan on March 13, 2007 - Tuesday at 9:47 PM